GEELONG SUPERCATS VJBL PLAYER REGISTRATIONS 2018/19
The Geelong Supercats are pleased to open VJBL player registrations for season 2018/19. We offer teams in all age group divisions of VJBL from Under 12 to Under 21 both boys and girls.
Victorian Junior Basketball League is state-wide representative basketball which provides the highest level of junior competition in Victoria. The competition includes U12 to U21 age groups, in a graded structure from Victorian Championship to the Regional competition.
Representative basketball is played on Friday evenings in and around metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria between 6pm and 11pm with game times scheduled youngest to oldest. The Geelong Supercats was established to give junior basketballers an opportunity to participate at a more competitive level against teams from other associations.
The Geelong Supercats entered 26 teams into the MUVJBL competition for the 2017/18 season.
The aims of the MUVJBL are to:
- Provide a stimulus for associations to develop teams to the highest competitive level
- Provide a format that best promotes the high standards of basketball in Victoria
- Provide a relevant step in career paths from domestic basketball through to state, national and international level
- Extend the opportunity to players, officials and spectators to participate in and attend high-quality competitions.
The theme of our MUVJBL teams and the basis behind the selection of our teams will be:
- A team in great physical shape
- A team that plays with relentless persistence
- A team that can handle adversity
- An assertive team
- A flexible team
- A great defensive team
- A “WE” team
The MUVJBL Levels of Competition are:
Victorian Championship League
- This is the highest level in each age group comprising the best 20 teams in the state. The benchmark for excellence, the premier division for junior teams that represent their nominated affiliated associations.
Victorian Junior League
- This is the second highest level comprising 4 divisions which teams are graded across.
Victorian Regional League
- This league is the third level, teams are graded into regions North, South, East and Central across 4 levels.
Age Groupings for 2018/19 Season
One of the most frequently questions asked is about age groupings.
Each age group consists of a 24-month window which determines an athletes’ participation in that division.
- Under 12 – 2008 & 2009
- Under 14 – 2006 & 2007
- Under 16 – 2004 & 2005
- Under 18 – 2002 & 2003
- Under 21 – 2001 & 1999
Junior players will spend two years in each of the age groups.
The age group classifications for all players are the same as the Geelong Basketball League (GBL) domestic competition where there are top and bottom age players playing in the same age groups.
At present, the representative season is played for nearly twelve months commencing, with the annual “Supercats Trial” phase in September / October leading into the MUVJBL Schedule.
- Supercats trials and selection phase
- Practise matches Spring / Pre Grading early to mid-November
- Grading Season – mid-November to following March.
- Championship Season March through to mid-August.
- Finals from late August to mid-September
Most MUVJBL competition activity runs in line with the School holidays & terms.
PLAYING FOR THE GEELONG SUPERCATS
NUMBER OF TEAMS
The number of teams selected for the Geelong Supercats VJBL program will be determined by the depth of talent of both Coaches and Players foe each age group.
Head Coaches for each age group have now been appointed and to find out the details please click here. Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches for all of our other teams will be announced once we have finalised our teams in September.
All VJBL Try Out Sessions are closed sessions. Parents are not permitted to attend unless selected as a member of the coaching/selection staff.
Any parent that is a member of the coaching/selection will be asked to refrain from any comment or be involved in the selection process for their own child
Saturday 8th & 15th September
- UNDER 18 BOYS 4.00pm to 6.00pm
- UNDER 18 GIRLS 4.00pm to 6.00pm
- UNDER 21 BOYS 6.30pm to 8.30pm
- UNDER 21 GIRLS 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Sunday 9th & 16th September
- UNDER 12 BOYS 10.00am to 12.00pm
- UNDER 12 GIRLS 10.00am to 12.00pm
- UNDER 14 BOYS 12.30pm to 2.30pm
- UNDER 14 GIRLS 12.30pm to 2.30pm
- UNDER 16 BOYS 3.00pm to 5.00pm
- UNDER 16 GIRLS 3.00pm to 5.00pm
THINGS TO BRING
- A clearly marked water bottle
- A clearly marked Basketball
- Light and Dark Singlet and/or Reversible Singlet
- A permission to train form if required
If you require a permission to train form or a clearance form you can download either form here.
Players from other associations who do not have the required paperwork above will be ineligible to take the court.
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ATTEND THE TRIALS
Players unable to attend the selection trials and who wish to be considered must notify the Director of Pathways and Development.
Further Information about the MUVJBL program can be found on www.supercats.com.au under the Supercats VJBL drop down menu